Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Day Late, but not a Dollar Short... #ToMB2 Month 1

Whew! I promise I actually finished painting in time!  Bases were finished in the meantime.



I got 3 games in with So'mer this month.

2 50 stones games just to learn the crew, and a 40 stone game last night in a 3 player game.  More on that later.


For the first game I played:
So'mer - 7 pool
-Family Tree
-Encouragement
-Pull My Finger
2x Skeeters
Lenny
-I'll Love it..
4x Bayou Gremlins
2x Slop Haulers
Johana

against

Lynch
-stuff
Huggy
2x Beckoners
3x Illuminated
2x Depleted
Doppleganger

Fun game, this was a totally learn-the-crew game.  We both were playing brand new to us crews.

I lost 5-3, with the key moment being a Black Joker when disengaging from a Depleted with a recklessing Bayou Gremlin to Deliver a Message (revealed) to Lynch.  I had a Red Joker in hand to cheat if necessary.

Key points:
Lenny reduces the Drunk and Reckless on the Bayou Gremlin to 1 dmg.
Lenny also just "burns a card" when taking horror duels, since if he fails he's immune to the paralyze.
So'mer draws cards when his gremlins explode.
Pull my finger isn't that great, very situational.
Skeeters, although Df7 are still fragile.


With those points in mind, I went into the second game.

Strategy: Reckoning. Schemes: Breakthrough, Protect Territory, Vendetta, Murder Protege. Deploy: Corner

So'mer - 4? pool
-Family Tree
-Encouragement
-Dirty Cheater
2x Skeeters
Lenny
-I'll Love it..
4x Bayou Gremlins
2x Slop Haulers
Burt Jebsen
-Dirty Cheater

(Burt isn't in my ToMB this month 1, but since this game took place in March and I'm buying him for month 2... I'm a dirty cheater!)

Perdita
-Trick Shooting
-Aura Ancestral
Enslaved Neph
Frank
-Diestro
-Wade In
Santiago
-Hair Trigger
Papa Loco
Nino
2x Latigo Pistoleros




I was playing against a newer player (his second game) this game, and knew he was taking Perdita.  In an ordinary game there is no way I'd play the So'mer Summoning Factory (tm) vs a declared Guild in Reckoning.  I also would take Protect Territory and Murder Protege, and focus on removing Francisco from the board.

So I didn't.  I took Vendetta from Burt to Frank, and Breakthrough.

My opponent set up his models in the stone wall, and looked intent on making me come to him.  Once again... normal game, I'm sitting put, collecting my territory points and summoning up a horde of gremlins.

So I ran at him instead, into the wall of firepower.

It turned out as expected.  I lost Gremlins in droves, but scored my 3 Breakthrough points and a Reckoning point.

He took Murder Protege and Vendetta from Perdita to Lenny (oops!) Lenny died to Perdita after slogging his way up the board.

Final score of 9-4.  I was able to help show him some tricks with his crew and tried to point out any obvious mistakes.

Key points:
Burt is awesome.
I need to watch Big Trouble in Little China
So'mer draws cards when a Gremlin near him dies
Skeeters are still fragile

With a couple games under my belt, I got together with Matt and Ed for Malifaux Monday.


We played a 3 player game of Headhunter.  Schemes: Breakthrough,Assassinate,Cursed Object,Deliver a Message. 

To ensure one of us wouldn't get ganged up on, we decided that the schemes must be declared against somebody.  For example, I took Cursed Object on Matt's Guild McCabe, and Breakthrough on Ed's Hamelin.

This meant I could only curse Matt's models, and I had to place schemes near Ed's deployment zone.

I took

So'mer
-Family Tree
-Dirty Cheater
Lenny
-I'll Love it..
Pigapult
Burt
-Dirty Cheater
2x Bayou Gremlin
Slop Hauler

Yeah, I'm still a dirty cheater.

This game went well, I only made a couple of errors.  Ed's Bishop charged Lenny and brought him down to 1 wound.  As it was the end of the turn, I had So'mer left.  I forgot Deliver a Message was in the pool.  With no cards higher than an 8 in my hand I charged in and hit Bishop down to 3 wounds.  This left So'mer in contact with the 3 AP Bishop.  Not a great move, since if I lost initiative or failed to kill Bishop, I would possibly be giving up 2 VP.   I would save Lenny, but I'm not sure if it would have truly mattered - his use was done by that point, and I didn't need him to score VPs.



I drew some more crap cards, but I had an 11 and a 6.  So'mer's Pig Prodder does 4 on a moderate, so I thought I could pull it off if I won initiative.  Ed flipped an 11, and I a 5.  I decided to stone for a re-flip and hit the 12.  

I focused and attacked Bishop.  His Df6 vs my Mi6, and he flipped a 13.  I had only a 8 and 9, so I missed.  My third swing hit the black joker, so Bishop survived.  He delivered a message with 2 AP, and killed Lenny with his third.  

My Bayou Gremlin also nearby finally finished Bishop off.

Ed and Matt beat up on each other, Burt ate a Wastrel, a Guild Hound, and a Rat King.  

I picked up 3 heads, dropped enough for 3 on Breakthrough, and cursed one of Matt's Wastrels 3 times in a row for 9 which was enough to secure the win!

In the next post I'll go over my next purchases for #ToMB month 2.  I wonder what sound a gremlin in a white tank top makes as he flies thru the bacon-y air...


4 comments:

  1. Nice write up :)

    Never spotted that Lenny knocks down Drunk and Reckless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking great. Good to see some more Gremlin love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Lenny is just so solid all around. So much utility!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great write up, sir. I'm glad I didn't go for Assassinate on Somer. He's a beast! Your Gremlins are looking good on the table.

    ReplyDelete