Thursday, February 19, 2015

Marine Engineering Officer

I've been interested in airbrushing miniatures for awhile now.  Looking at the beautiful work Angel Giraldez puts out, I preordered his soon to be released book on his techniques.  He's pioneering a lot of new ground with his methods.

Angel's style is basically using the airbrush for all basecoating, shading, and 80% of the highlighting.  He does only an edge highlight or two to bring some more definition to the detail.  He also uses pinpoint washes to add shading.  I've never been able to figure out how to use washes other than the "slop it on the whole area" approach, so I hope he goes into more detail in his book on that subject.

With that in mind I also purchased a new Badger Sotar 20/20 specifically to paint miniatures with.  My Iwata just doesn't have the fine detail that this brush can achieve.  It came highly recommended, and I see why now - it is phenomenal.  Trigger is smooth, it is easier to clean than my Iwata, and

After devouring various youtube videos, the Tom Schadle Icestorm tutorials, and anywhere Angel has posted tutorials, I set out to learn how to airbrush miniatures.

Here is my first attempt, a civilian model for Infinity the Game, the Marine Engineering Officer.



The blacklines are less rough in real life, I promise.  Overall it is about 80% airbrushed, all blacks and whites were done with it.  Blues, skin and hair were brush painted.  I also want to add a double yellow line on the base, as she is meant to be on asphalt and the base needs some more decoration.

Skin is Cork Brown, Flat Earth wash, Cork > Medium > Sunny Skintone

Things learned: Liquid mask is best applied thickly so it is able to be removed easily.  Silly putty can also be used for masking - note to self to pick some up.

Black is very easy to over highlight, shadows and midtones of black is black.  Only the highlights are brighter than the black.

Applying pinwashes is easier over a gloss coat.

I've decided to airbrush all of my new Gremlins for ToMB as well!  Here goes nothing...



No comments:

Post a Comment