Monday, January 12, 2015

Templecon Preperations

I'm breaking this down into two parts.  The first, what I need to do gaming-wise to not my butt stomped at the Gaining Grounds tournament.  The second, once I have a good idea of what I'll be running I'll need to paint it up.

Gaming
My first task is to learn how to use Perdita.  I started my Malifaux journey with Sonnia, and picked up the Latigo Posse box mostly for Frank.  Having a ranged killy master already I wanted to branch out into other playstyles before I learned how to play another master of the same type.  So I ventured down the LadyJ path, and then into McMourning.



Having played Sonnia she's more than just a straight damage dealer.  I find her strength to be in placing Witchlings where the opponent doesn't want them.  I'm trying to come at her from more of a control/support master side now that I'm not just trying to cast Flameburst 15 times a game.  She is my go-to Recon master.

I found that Sonnia has plenty of damage output, but I think Perdita can do the targeted model removal even better.  I also like her Neverborn matchup as I think there are going to be a lot of Dreamers running around.

My core crew will be something like:
Guild Crew - 50 - Scrap

Perdita Ortega -- 7 Pool
 +Aura Ancestral [1]
 +Trick Shooting [2]

Enslaved Nephilim [3]
Abuela Ortega [7] / Papa Loco?
Francisco Ortega [8]
 +Wade In [1]
Nino Ortega [7]
Santiago Ortega [7]

Plus another 10-12 stones of models depending on schemes.

I'd also like to get some more McMourning games in.  I've been playing the Guild Henchman list with him which looks like

Dr. Douglas McMourning -- 7 Pool
 +On the Clock [1]
 +Plant Evidence [1]
 +Plastic Surgery [1]

Brutal Effigy [4]
Francisco Ortega [8]
 +Wade In [1]
Nurse [5]
Sidir Alchibal [9]
 +Promises [1]
The Judge [9]
 +Unrelenting Leader [2]
Witchling Stalker [5]

I want to explore some of his poison based shenanigans.

Dr. Douglas McMourning -- 7 Pool
 +On the Clock [1]
 +Plant Evidence [1]
 +Plastic Surgery [1]

Zombie Chihuahua [2]
Guild Lawyer [6]
Performer [6]
Sebastian [7]
 +Unknowable Pain [1]
The Judge [9]

Plus another 16 stones of models.

Knowing me I'll probably abandon the Perdita plan altogether and play exclusively McMourning, but it is a start.

I'd like to go into Templecon with at least 2 masters solid.  Right now I feel good about McM and probably LadyJ.  Probably need another Sonnia game to get comfortable with her again.  I'd like to try her with Papa Loco, as that + on Damage flips is crazy.

This leaves my painting list:

Painting: Every Master

Brutal Effigy - Good with any Guild Master who wants to deal damage.
2 Guild Hounds - Scheme runners, I liked them in the Stake a Claim game I used them.
2x Hunter - Recon games
2x Watchers - I still haven't figured out how to do Stake a Claim with Guild.  Maybe they are the solution?
Peacekeeper? - I'm kind of missing a big, tough beater.  Executioners don't have the staying power for a Turf War.

McMourning Painting:
Sidir - Promises, baby!
Performer - "Lures" and poison shenanigans.
Lawyer - My executioners have died before doing anything in every game I've played.  Dropping a Hard to Wound on them sounds amazing.
Zombie Chihuahua - For a 2 stone model he seems to have some utility.  Might be worth a go.

Sonnia Painting
"Proxy" Witchling Handler - metal Sonnia conversion.  Conversion is done.  I think she will add a lot to my Sonnia crews and make the Witchlings even more dangerous.

LJ Painting
Scales of Justice - Never thought this model was any good, but as I've played LJ I seem to burn through my hand quite quickly.  3 Stones to draw 2 cards on his go might do the trick, and the Wp buff is nice too.
Exorcist? - Liked him in my LJ crew as more ranged support with the Marshal.

Perdita Painting
1 Latigo Pistolero - Typical minion for a Dita list.
Abuela - Shotgun looks very good.

So that's where I'm at.  I have about 3 weeks to get this all done, with 17 models to paint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment